Tonight, the Met Gala honored Karl with the highly anticipated ‘Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty’. Guests and their stylists had unlimited inspiration to pull from. Afterall, Karl reigned over not only Chanel but Fendi (he created the double-F logo for Fendi), Chloé, Patou and Balmain.
With each year, we hear rumors that Anna is cutting down on the guestlist but this year it felt like everyone that’s ever graced our screens was there. I thought my phone reverted to black and white television for how many quintessential black leather and white pearls I saw.
As Carla Bruni said at this morning’s press event to open the exhibition, “Everything interested Karl except for mediocrity.” Would Karl feel honored with tonight’s looks? I’m not sure. But he would have just loved the ozempic craze. Check out the 11 best looks that won my heart tonight.
- Rihanna wearing Valentino in Chanel inspired camellias. I was half hoping for A$AP to propose to Rihanna here and make my Chanel bridal dreams come true.
2. Anne Hathaway was modern and absolutely gorgeous in Atelier Versace. I could just look at this ALL DAY.
3. Teyana Taylor dazzled in Thom Browne
4. Karl was never nostalgic and always present. That’s why I love what Marc Jacobs did with Kendall’s look. This is a great example of capturing the synergy between old and new.
5. Sydney Sweeney in Miu Miu was a dream. And perfectly her at the same time.
6. Co-chair Dua Lipa in archival Chanel Fall ‘92 Couture and Tiffany & Co diamonds reminding us “if It ain’t broke!”
7. I think Tems paid tribute to Karl beautifully. I was put onto Kim Russell via Eva Chen’s broadcast channel for the Met that launched last Thursday when she declared Kim a “must follow”. I was not disappointed. The archivist collaborated with stylist Dunsin Wright on this insane look inspired by Chanel Haute Couture Spring ‘92.
8. Lily Aldridge styled by Danielle Goldberg in bespoke Oscar de la Renta… makes me want to redesign my wedding dress. But I’m fine. Everything is fine.
9. Michaela Coel stunned in Schiaparelli. The co-chair’s ornate gown included 130,000 crystals embroidered onto the silhouette! Star-shaped adornments along the chest and abs, along with pearls and gold leaves wrapped around the arms. Karl and accessories went hand in hand so this did the job for me.
- Anok Yai in Atelier Prabal Gurung. No. Notes.
11. I’m ending with Prabal because did you see what he did with not only Anok but Taika’s look?! This silk maxi blazer, robe imitation is the chicest ensemble I saw all evening.
Ps, How did no one (especially Kim) not do something with this look? There’s always the afterparty.
Article contributed by; Chanel Vincelli. Give her a follow @blamecoco_