I am big on making homemade non dairy milks! The whole process seems daunting but I can assure you it’s not. One you try homemade you won’t be able to switch back to store bought.
It started with almond and cashew milk and then I started making coconut milk. If you have made milks before, you will see, this one is just as easy if not easier because there is no soaking required. Similar method to my almond milk – this one will also last in your fridge for about 5 days.
Homemade Coconut Milk
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 cups water not boiling hot but a little warmer than lukewarm
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- To sweeten add 1 Medjool date make it sweeter, I don’t always add it
- Put coconut into a blender and add water, vanilla and the salt.
- Blend on high for 1 minute
- Let the milk cool for about 10 minutes, room temperature or use rubber dishwashing gloves to strain right away
- Pour through a nut milk bag and strain. Transfer to a glass bottle.
- Refrigerate. Stays good for 5-6 days
If you need a longer breakdown of the nut milk bag situation, I go into detail on my homemade almond milk recipe. Or check out my youtube video!