Kris is a BIG porridge guy! He requests I make them for him often and I like to find ways to switch it up to keep it exciting, because let’s be honest… Porridge are always the most exciting. When I have the extra time I will make this delicious Apple Cinnamon Porridge, it takes an extra 5 minutes and is like a warm, winter hug on cold mornings. This is the perfect breakfast for the cooler weather and leaves your home smelling like the holidays!
Apple Cinnamon Porridge
- 2 red apples organic preferably, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil ghee works too
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup GF rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk of choice we use coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small pot or saucepan, heat to medium, add coconut oil, once heated, add in apples and sauté around until coated in coconut oil. Add in cinnamon and honey and turn heat to low and let apples cook down and caramelize. This should take about 10-12 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. While apples are cooking, make your oats!
- Using a pot, heat the stove to medium/high, add water and milk and let it come to a low boil. Add in oats and mix together. Lower heat to medium/ low and let oats cook and soak up liquid. This usually takes 5-8 minutes depending.
- Once oats are 80% cooked add in chia seeds, hemp seeds, and maple syrup. Cook another 2-3 minutes and transfer to serving bowls.
- Top with cinnamon apple mixture, an extra dash of cinnamon and enjoy!