So what exactly is activated charcoal – unless you have been a follower of KG’s, we are going to take a guess and assume you have little to no idea what we’re about to explain. Before you click away, we will warn you: THIS POST IS WORTH READING. Like some other items we’ve mentioned in previous posts, activated charcoal (also referred to as activated carbon) is a hot ingredient in both the health and beauty industry. Unlike fit teas or hair growth gummies, this trendy ingredient is something that we can get behind and promise that adding activated charcoal to your life WHEN NEEDED… Works.
In easy English, activated charcoal is a form of carbon that is processed to have small, low- volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions…or what KG likes to call: her hangover cure. If we had a few too many tequilas or maybe did not eat our cleanest, this is a go-to remedy to kick that hangover. Scientifically, it works through the process of adsorption: the chemical reaction where elements (in my case alcohol, greasy foods, gluten, dairy and all of the other things we hate to love) and bind to a substance (charcoal). It removes toxins because they will adhere to the surface of the charcoal. It is not absorbed by the body but does pass through the GI system which leads to the chemicals and toxins sticking to it, which then pass through the body digestive system… And well, you get the rest. Activated charcoal is a FLUSH (no pun intended) of toxins. Interestingly enough this is one of the things given in ER rooms to instantly flush out dangerous substances patients have ingested.
Activated charcoal is not only used for removal of toxins in the body but also topically on the skin and can be found in many skincare products to help pull out toxins and bacteria from the skin. It is also a natural teeth whitener and used in many natural toothpastes as a whitening agent. You can even use the powder directly on your teeth to whiten your teeth – it actually works and this is how KG keeps her teeth white!
Why we love activated charcoal:
- Helps a hangover (1 before drinking 2 after)
- Teeth whitener, keeps the mouth extra clean
- Reduces bloating
- Cleanses the digestive tract, giving the body more energy
- Helps reduce high cholesterol
- Helps with digestion of heavy, fatty foods
- Eliminated toxins safely from the body
Points to remember when taking activated charcoal:
- Buy one that is made from coconut shells or natural sources (linked below!)
- Stay hydrated- be sure to drink extra water
- Do not mix with vitamin and supplement intake, birth control pill, prescribed medications and antibiotics. Activated charcoal will not only absorb the bad but the good as well so leave a minimum of 6 hours between any of these.