I have been trying to get creative with our meals lately since we are eating at home so much and eating primarily plant based. I saw a recipe online for cauliflower, chickpea cakes and as usual I broke it down and made it my own with ingredients that fit within my lifestyle. I have since made these twice and they are delicious, filling and a nice change for lunch or dinner. Kris loved them too, which is always a bonus!
Chickpea Cauliflower Cakes
- Food Processor or Blender
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed & dried
- 1 small cauliflower cut into florets and steamed
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1/8 cup green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1.5 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Get a cast iron skillet or a oven safe skillet ready.
- In a mixing bowl combine chickpea flour, flax seed, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt & pepper.
- In a food processor or blender pulse chickpeas, cooked cauliflower, parsley, green onion and garlic until combined but not fully blended.
- Add cauliflower mix to dry ingredients and combine. Form patties (any size you’d like). I like to make them on the larger size because we eat them as our main meal but these can also be made smaller as a side dish or snack.
- Turn stove on to med/high heat, add avocado oil to the cast iron skillet, once oil is hot add patties and cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes.
- Once each side is golden brown, transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 12-14 minutes or until patties are firm and cooked through. Remove from the oven, let cool 5-10 minutes before transferring to serving dish and enjoy!