This recipe has been in my family for years. My childhood babysitter who still works with my family makes these every year. They can be made with regular potatoes only or sweet potato only or a mix of both.
Vangie's Sweet Potato Latkes
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and grated
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and grated
- 1 small onion grated
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup almond or oat flour
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado oil for frying
- Peel and grate potatoes over a kitchen towel, squeezing out as much water as you can. Add to a large mixing bowl. You can use a manual cheese grater or your can you a food processor if you have one. This is much easier.
- Add in all other ingredients and combine well.
- Using a large skillet, add a generous amount of avocado oil on medium, high heat. You can prep each latke as you go, I like to just do it with a spoon. I prefer a “messy” latke that has pieces of potato sticking out, those get crispy and is the best part IMO!
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes max, until each side is golden brown and crispy.
- Have a baking sheet with a paper towel ready to transfer cooked latkes onto.
- Once all are ready, you can top with a sprinkle of chives and a side of applesauce or sour cream or enjoy on their own!