Turmeric is one of the most powerful spices on earth and It has been used for thousands of years for both medicinal and culinary purposes. I use it mainly for my Ginger Turmeric Water, in fresh pressed juices and shots.
Curcumin, the active and most important component in turmeric, is a natural antioxidant and provides an extremely wide variety of health benefits. Curcumin is the reason why turmeric is known as a functional food which means that it has a greater impact on your body and health above and beyond the basic nutritional value.
BENEFITS OF TURMERIC
The benefits of turmeric are endless. Here are a few important ones:
- Combats inflammation in the body due to the potent anti-inflammatory properties of the curcumin.
- Provides healthy glowing skin. Turmeric masks have been used in India for centuries and the high level of anti-inflammatory and antioxidants present helps eliminate blemishes, reduce redness and treat certain skin diseases.
- Known to potentially prevent or treat certain types of cancer including breast, stomach pancreatic and prostate cancers.
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Aids in managing pain. I like to take turmeric in supplement/ capsule form for period pain and even headaches and I swear it works!
- Efficiently detoxifies the liver and body
- Can help reduce and possibly prevent blood clots
HOW TO USE TURMERIC
To reap the benefits of turmeric, there are various forms that you can use. Whether it’s using the actual root, ground powder, turmeric extract or supplements, any of these would be a great addition to your life. Black pepper is said to amplify the effects of the curcumin so it’s always great to add some black pepper when cooking with turmeric.